Step into a globe exactly where the ethereal fulfills the tangible. The Undead Archive: 100 Several years of Photographing Ghosts exhibition, curated by Dr. Serena Keshavjee, brings alongside one another historical images, up to date artworks, and scientific files to investigate the intersection where history intertwines with the supernatural, and in which artwork and science converge.
A Historical Glimpse:
One particular hundred years in the past, renowned creator and Spiritualist Sir Arthur Conan Doyle frequented Winnipeg to give a lecture on communicating with ghosts and spirits. In the viewers that night time had been Winnipeg doctor Thomas Glendenning Hamilton, and his spouse, Lillian Hamilton, a nurse. The Hamiltons went on to carry out hundreds of managed séance experiments investigating the likelihood of personalities surviving corporeal demise. These experiments resulted in a series of charming photos, which type the core of The Undead Archive. The Undead Archive and the accompanying anthology, The Artwork of Ectoplasm, contextualize the photographs from an artwork historic stage of perspective, revealing attitudes to science and faith right after Environment War I and the 1919 pandemic.
In the 1930s, Dr. Hamilton’s photos were being acquired in some international circles as scientific evidence of daily life right after demise. In the early 2000s, they were digitized and circulated online, receiving a second wave of recognition, which include by many artists. Showcasing séance-linked archival manuscripts, alternate scientific paperwork, and modern artworks in a variety of media, The Undead Archive highlights how up to date artists from Winnipeg and all around the entire world have responded to these photos.
Co-presented by the College of Winnipeg’s Gallery 1C03, University of Manitoba Archives & Specific Collections, and the University of Manitoba’s University of Art Gallery, the exhibition options the perform of twenty-two artists: KC Adams, Irene Bindi, Aston Coles, Celia Coles + Martin Finkenzeller, Teresa Burrows, Estelle Chaigne, Erika DeFreitas, Lily Despic, Chris Dorosz, Sarah Hodges-Kolisnyk, Evan Johnson, Galen Johnson + Male Maddin, Jodie Mack, Susan MacWilliam, Megan Moore, Michael Pittman, Paul Robles, Shannon Taggart, Tricia Wasney, Wendt + Dufaux, and Grace A. Williams, with historic photos and documents from the Hamilton Household Fonds, housed at the University of Manitoba Archives & Unique Collections and the Survival Exploration Institute of Canada.
The Undead Archive is presented with the generous assistance of the Manitoba Arts Council. The exhibition attracts on research supported by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
When & Exactly where?
- September 7 – November 10, 2023: Gallery 1C03, 1st Floor, Centennial Corridor, The College of Winnipeg.
- September 21, 2023 to April 21, 2024: College of Manitoba Archives & Unique Collections, 330 Elizabeth Dafoe Library, University of Manitoba, Fort Garry Campus.
- September 21 – November 10, 2023: School of Artwork Gallery, 255 ARTlab, University of Manitoba, Fort Garry Campus.
Opening Reception and Bus Tour:
Thursday, September 21
- 4:00-6:00 pm – The University of Winnipeg, Gallery 1C03
- 6:00-7:00 pm – University of Manitoba, Archives & Unique Collections
- 7:00-9:00 pm – University of Manitoba, Faculty of Artwork Gallery
Celebrate the opening of The Undead Archive at this one particular-evening, a few-component reception, starting off at Gallery 1C03.
Need a experience? There will be a totally free bus transporting guests in between venues. The bus will depart the University of Winnipeg’s Gallery 1C03 at 5:30 pm, offering company to College of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections and School of Art Gallery receptions. The bus will depart the University of Artwork Gallery at 8:45 pm, returning friends to the College of Winnipeg.
Activities Not to Miss out on:
From opening receptions and workshops to on the web lectures and screenings, the exhibition promises a sequence of functions that are absolutely sure to captivate and educate.
- Excursions with Dr. Serena Keshavjee: September 19, 20, 23
- Panel Dialogue: Photographing Ghosts with Estelle Chaigne and Shannon Taggart: September 20, 12:00-1:30 pm
- Workshop: The 3rd Eye with Estelle Chaigne: September 20, 2:30-4:30 pm
- Functionality: Estelle Chaigne: Surfaces sensible: September 21, 4:00-8:45 pm
- On the internet Lecture: Magick, Mediumship, and Modern day Art by Dr. Grace A. Williams: September 22, 12:00-1:30 pm
- Symposium: Examine of Psychic Phenomena: September 22-23, 7:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- General performance: Estelle Chaigne: Naï: September 26, 7:00 pm
- Panel Dialogue: Unsettling the Spirits with KC Adams, Erika DeFreitas, Chris Dorosz, and Paul Robles: Oct 19, 4:00-5:15 pm
- Screening: Ceremonies of Light: The Films of Kenneth Anger: October 28, 7:00 pm
- Reserve Start: The Art of Ectoplasm: Encounters with Winnipeg’s Ghost Images: November 1, 7:00 pm
For a in-depth listing of situations and timings, simply click below.
Be part of us on a journey that blurs the traces concerning the known and the unseen, science and spirituality, artwork and record, as we examine The Undead Archive: 100 Yrs of Photographing Ghosts.