“I’m so happy this is the previous one,” biking superstar Peter Sagan told Eurosport after finishing the 2023 Tour de France.
The 7-time environmentally friendly jersey winner at the Tour declared his retirement from highway biking in January following a vocation that observed him successful classics like Paris-Roubaix and Tour of Flanders, 12 Tour de France stages, and three consecutive Planet Championships road races.
Acquiring three rainbow jerseys is also what Sagan highlights looking again at pretty much 14 several years as a experienced bike owner.
“Definitely as victories, the a few Environment Championships. You have to just take those people a few unique victories as just one,” the 33-year-aged Slovak stated according to Cyclingnews.
A short while ago the TotalEnergies rider concluded what he named the most difficult Tour de France of his life with an eighth area on stage 11 as his finest phase final result.
Sagan emphasised at the Grand Tour that he is content with what he has reached on the road.
“The glory I assume will continue to be I’ve obtained practically nothing to verify any a lot more. What I did is done and which is very good. It is also a pretty good interval of my lifestyle – all the items I did in road cycling. But absolutely everyone has to finish at some issue,” he explained to Cycling Weekly.
“I’ve performed my job. Now I want to concentrate on myself and my loved ones, and also to have some entertaining in mountain biking. In which I started, I would like to complete.”
And it is specifically on the mountain bicycle the place he has set himself a new intention – to go to Paris 2024.
“I hope to be there (in Paris) with the MTB. The medal is achievable, but the important matter is to get there very well. I’m very excited to reach a excellent final result,” Sagan discussed to Marca.
“I have just one much more year of mountain biking, and I if I do properly, it’s possible I can go on mountain biking. If not, I’ll quit just after a person yr. There’s a large amount of question marks.”
Peter Sagan: The legacy of a rock star on and off the bicycle
Sagan did not just go away a mark on contemporary working day biking with his results. He altered the approach to racing and encouraged a new era of riders, if you question top figures within the activity.
“The Van Aerts and Pidcocks of nowadays are the Peter of yesterday – he opened that design of racing. He was the very first to race aggressively, not just contemplating about the common way of doing issues. He opened that philosophy of winning on unique terrain and in distinctive techniques,” Movistar Team’s head of performance and a previous mentor of Sagan, Patxi Vila, advised Velo.
“So several of the men at the Tour do what Peter did. Given that the commence, he was the first to arrive with one thing distinct. He confirmed a single rider can acquire mountains, sprints and can enjoy distinctive races in the period,” claimed Sagan’s former athletics director Ján Valach of Bora-Hansgrohe.
Sagan was also an entertainer. He celebrated Tour de France phase wins by doing a “Forrest Gump” and “the Hulk”, and he pulled a wheelie crossing the end line in Gent-Wevelgem – just to mention a few of his memorable celebrations.
The three-time planet champion also showed up to races with unshaved legs, dyed his beard green and began heading to the podium putting on ski goggles. Items that have been hardly ever noticed just before in the extremely regular sport that highway biking is.
“Peter designed a phase forward. With him, present-day biking started. He got so a lot of results, but also manufactured new ways with other aspects. Sponsors, social media, and the graphic of a bicycle owner – he modified it all,” said Sagan’s longtime teammate Daniel Oss.
“In 2012, 2013, no matter what, he was also the very first rider in many several years that was funny, that experienced a little something more than just the sport. He produced all the things about cycling much more pleasing for the people today. He improved cycling to be additional enjoyable,” Valach included.
Tour de France phase winner and Olympic mountain bike champion Tom Pidcock is one particular of the riders from the new technology of riders who has expressed his admiration of the Slovak.
“Peter Sagan is type of an idol of mine. I’m nevertheless a supporter of his. Not just mainly because he’s a 3-time planet winner, but for the reason that he’s Peter Sagan,” the Brit mentioned three decades back.
Peter Sagan’s main final results and achievements
Apart from the amazing achievement of turning out to be the initially rider at any time to gain the men’s highway race a few situations in a row at the World Championships, Peter Sagan has a impressive listing of job wins.
On the road, the “Tourminator” has won unbelievable 121 races, and ahead of that he was showing himself as a promising expertise on the mountain bicycle scene.
In this article are some of the greatest outcomes of Peter Sagan’s occupation:
- 2008: Junior mountain bike cross-place entire world winner.
- 2011: All round winner of World Tour race Tour de Pologne. Wins very first Grand Tour stage at the Vuelta a España.
- 2012: Wins his very first Tour de France phase and initially green jersey.
- 2013: Promises the Flanders Classics Brabantse Pijl and Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal.
- 2014: Victorious at E3 Harelbeke.
- 2015: Results in being street race globe winner for the first time in Richmond, United states, and all round winner of the stage race Tour of California. Wins his fourth and very last phase get at Vuelta a España.
- 2016: Results in being road race entire world winner for the second time in Doha, Qatar, and European winner in Plumelec, France. He is awarded the Vélo d’Or for currently being the ideal-carrying out rider of the yr and wins the prestigious monument Tour of Flanders.
- 2017: Results in being road race planet champion for the third time in Bergen, Norway, getting to be the 1st rider to do so three consecutive instances. He also wins Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne at the Belgian opening weekend and GP de Québec.
- 2018: Clinches his next monument at Paris-Roubaix and can take his third Gent-Wevelgem victory.
- 2019: Statements his 12th and final Tour de France phase and his seventh green jersey, breaking the history beforehand held by Eric Zabel, who received the points classification six moments.
- 2021: Secures his next phase gain at the Giro d’Italia a calendar year immediately after his first and can take property the Maglia ciclamino as the winner of the details classification.
- 2022: Results in being countrywide highway race winner for the eighth time in Slovakia and will take his 18th phase gain of the Tour de Suisse.